Friday, September 30, 2011

The Next Campaign, pt 3

I wanted a study of place and character. I’ve been working on a collaborative setting system for a while. It might not be the best fit for a generation ship setting, but I’m willing to try it out there.

I’ll also be working with my players on hashing out major systems for the ship. Things like engines, electrical generation, water reclamation, pharmacology, etc.. If each person has a job, they’ll have to work in some relevant department. What level of luxuries would they expect/desire? What would they do in their offtime?

 

I’d also want to have recurring settings whether it’s a central control center (bridge), a lounge, a library, or even one character’s luxurious quarters, I’d want settings that the players are familiar with and can interact with, should they so choose (the quarters would be best, obviously, since I could redress it to be anyone’s quarters.). 
 
Richard’s question about the hook seemed relevant. What would they be doing? I don’t plan on any combat happening (no, don’t tell them that); who would they fight? I don’t plan on there being any type of terrible conspiracy behind what they’re doing; how fucked up would it be if their entire reason for existing (having babies to have babies to colonize a new world), was all a lie? I’m not opposed to a dark, gritty ending, but having an entire society realize their entire existence is null and void is darker than Requiem for a Dream Squared plus Donnie Darko times Charlie.  

I just couldn’t be that cruel and in a setting without combat, I couldn’t imagine a better way to prompt my players’ characters to conduct mass suicide.

…though it would make an epic story to tell later. We’ll call that Plan B.


So, Plan A needs some sort of conflict. Man versus nature is the most obvious. If they can’t fight each other and they can’t fight Martians, then they need to fight the ravages of time and space to keep their little pocket of life working. Maybe saving others from a malfunction or a comet storm. Maybe weather a radiation belt of some kind. Whatever they fight, they have to be able to discuss it, plan responses with different options, and overcome it. Having the characters discuss things and to have non-emergency interactions with each other is a clear must for the campaign as a whole.
 

I was thinking about working on some improv with them ahead of time and let them improvise a number of cultural elements. That might be the way to go. Maybe I could work some cards in as conversation starters. I wouldn’t want to drop an NPC in there to help with that, as it would be a bit too much like me telling them what’s going on instead of having them make it.

Ultimately, I need something for them to look at and react to, if only as a backdrop for all of the roleplaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment