Thursday, May 12, 2011

Tales of Lucio Pavlec: In Which Lucio Pavlec Makes an Appearance pt 5 of 6

“Well, technically, it’s fire resistant. It would’ve protected you from anything a mere warlock could conjure. That was the point, right?”

“No! It wasn’t the point!” She paused the gulp down the potion the wizard offered, and immediately regretted it whenever it almost made her feel too good to be angry, “The point was to keep you from burning me!”

Lucio Pavlec seemed genuinely confused, “I don’t think they make rings that strong. I actually took that one off of a guy I burned to death.”

“I am never,” she stepped over the charred remains of the leviathan snake-thing that U’rn Daali had called “The Most Ultimate Serpent King” and took long, angry steps towards the dais, ”working with you again!”

“Oh,” Lucio was suddenly unconcerned, as if realizing their conversation was just a long joke, “Everyone says that.”

By the pedestal behind the altar, Dire Fox skeptically examined the warped black shape that the inhabitants had so revered, “I think is that eye they were talking about.”

“Is it rigged?”

The Halfling nodded, “Yeah, but not too well. It’s actually taking me longer to decide if it’s worth the time to deactivate the traps.”

He looked up to notice her unsympathetic expression.

“I’m serious! It would almost be worth it to just grab this thing and just count on my ability to dodge the darts,” he sniffed the air, “I think they’re drakesblood.”

“That’s pretty deadly,” she didn’t know much about poisons, but drakes were just behind dragons and just above lizards in the hierarchy of reptilian threats (all of which were above Yuan-Ti), and it was hierarchy which had served her well so far.

“Yeah,” he ran his fingers around the seam where the black thing met the pedestal’s stone, “but I’m mostly immune.”

“Then why not just take it then?”

“Well, technically,” he smiled, “I’m only resistant.”

Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment