Friday, April 29, 2011

Zombie CCG: What I Want, pt 5

Apparently, I have Google’s top result when people search for “Zombie CCG.”
Because my initial ideas were sound, and I don’t see any reason I
wouldn’t firmly grasp this sliver of internet relevance, I’m continuing
that project.

Story & Flavor


CCGs are inimical to storytelling because they are—by definition—random, and stories are structured. CCGs do better at evoking atmosphere. That said, a game without any evocative nature is just pushing cards with numbers around a table. Games are fun because events happen; Putting 3 tokens onto to a card that is put into a discard pile whenever it has 3 or more tokens on it isn’t fun; Lighting Bolting a Putrefax is fun.

On the other hand, the ability of a game to reflect real world objects (or objects very similar to real-world objects) has to be balanced by simplicity. Sure, buildings can be damaged, people can be injured or infected, guns can run out of ammo, but how much time and effort should a game spend trying to track all of these status effects? Not only does it take time and rules, but it also requires non-card elements.

Trying to get the mechanics so that players feel like they're controlling survivors barely escaping from zombie hordes without bogging down the game in (exploitable) mechanics is one the key objectives I have. Whenever a player uses a gun, it should feel like they're blasting zombies apart and like they're expending a diminishing resource. Whenever they go to a new location, there should be a moment of tension: will there be enough food, medicine, and weapons...or will there only be more zombies?

The Wrap-Up

Every game is a craps-shoot. I don't know if I can make engaging gameplay that feels like a desperate run for you life versus hordes of undead that's also merely a larger chapter in a tome and usually leaves both (or more!) players laughing. I think if I leave that as my four-point mission statement I can't fuck more than four things or so up.

No comments:

Post a Comment